This past week marked a very modest anniversary, and being the OCD stats guy that I am, I took the opportunity to run some numbers to see how the past year has gone in purely quantitative terms. Before I begin, I realize these numbers are all miniscule – I’m fine with that.
First off, from a numbers point of view, what did I put into this blog? Between its inception on January 3, 2007 and December 31, 2007, I posted 204 items. I will not comment on the quality of those 204 posts, but there you have it. While the average would seem to be four per week, the average is misleading. From one-a-day in January to seven posts in the next three months, there’s been a lot of variance in my posting rate, but the last few months show a more even pace which I hope to maintain.
Over the year, WordPress reports I had 2,996 views of these posts. They associate 2,419 of those views with specific posts leaving 577 views (19%) associated with a homepage landing rather than one specific post. The other 81% is made up of 181 different posts, leaving 23 posts without any views tied to them. I don’t know which they are, but that would be worth pursuing at some point.
The top five account for 675 views (28% of known, 23% of all): Great Amtrak Map Using Google Maps (204); More ultra-slim Apple laptop rumblings (184); Google Reader Annoyance (108); TiVo Hard Drive Failure & Replacement (92); and 2001: A Space Odyssey comes to HD (87). I am pleased about the third and fourth results, as they are posts I worked on, but the first one amuses me. Clearly Amtrak‘s own route map must stink if my little post on this issue can attract so much traffic. I am surprised by the 2001 post being so high, but since Apple rumors are like catnip on the web, the second post makes perfect sense to me. (I am very curious to see that MacWorld brings us next week once we have the CES show behind us.)
The distribution of views seems to me to look very long tail-ish, but I am not going to do the math to confirm that – a quick eyeballing seems sufficient to me. (Thanks, Google Docs.)
Now that I have covered what was viewed, the other stats to pursue address when. Here is the answer to that, graphically:
I’m pleased with that. It shows real growth, and maybe by the time I’m sixty or so, I’ll be able to monetize my traffic sufficiently to buy myself a Coke every few months. Clearly, this blog is not about traffic and income, but I cannot help but look at the stats like this when WordPress so kindly makes them available to me.
My thanks to WordPress for their blogging platform, and more than anything, to my readers – all three of you – and to the few brave souls who have gone so far as to comment here. I hope I can continue to deliver a rich medley of commentary and amusement in 2008.